Saturday October 13th 2018 saw a new Derbyshire Gritstone Sheepbreeders Society sale record set for the highest priced tup when John & Craig Kempson sold their homebred "Cowpe"shearling to Rob Evans for 4,500gns.
Records fell twice in 2018 firstly Robert Fielden's shearling tup topped the list at 4,200gns to Peter Cooper but about 15 minutes later John and Craig Kempson went one better selling at 4,500 to Rob Evans!
This outstanding price and the buzz that was witnessed around the ring suggests that the breed is seeing a real increase in popularity and demand.
Top Breed Prices
1. John & Craig Kempson (shearling tup) 4,500gns to Rob Evans (2018)
2. Robert Fielden (shearling tup) 4,200gns to Peter Cooper (2018)
3. Tim Harding (shearling tup) to Megan Needham (2016)
4. Clive Mitchell (shearling tup) - 3,800gns to Stephen Charles (2017)
5. Megan Needham & Josh Redfearn (shearling tup) 3,500gns to David Eggleton (2018)
6. David Eggleton (2-shear tup) 3,400gns to Sam Barratt (2018)
= 7. David Eggleton (shearling tup) - 3,200gns to Jim Scriven (2017)
= 7. John Pickard (shearling tup) - 3,200gns to Clive Mitchell (2015)
8. David Eggleton (shearling tup) - 3,000gns to Tim Harding (2016)
9. Phillip Read (shearling tup) - 2,850gns to Riley Bros (1990s)
= 10. Ken Clarke (2-shear) - 2,800gns to John Pickard (1990s)
= 10. Mark Tattersall (tup lamb) 2,800gns to Rob Evans (2018)
=10. S Whitehead (shearling tup) 2,800gns to Clive Mitchell (2018)
Spittle 60 (2016) - Photo taken by Tim Harding